The Factory Singers is a 50+ strong chorus who meet weekly to sing together. Through singing, we promote a sense of wellbeing and belonging to the community. Our ethos is to sing with joy, passion, groove and style, whilst making a beautiful sound! We aim high, but don’t take ourselves too seriously – we just enjoy singing our hearts out.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Factory Singers have not met online or in person since March 2020. However, this spring we are absolutely delighted to launch a half term of online choir rehearsals.
Led by Musician David Hewson and Choir Leader Ailie deBonnaire, the singers will embark on a slightly different approach to singing together, for a course lasting 7 weeks.
Online weekly sessions will be structured as follows:
- 7pm – 7.30pm Group warm up Exercises connecting with body and voice, followed by some singing together of songs from around the world
- 7.30pm – 8pm Sectional Rehearsals We will move into breakout rooms to learn and rehearse in two groups: 1. Sopranos & Altos and 2. Baritones
- 8pm – 8.10pm Break A cup of tea and a breather
- 8.15pm – 8.30pm Group Singing We will come back together as one group following the sectional rehearsals
- 8.30pm – 9pm Music Theory Working in two groups (beginners and intermediate) we will spend a short time each week developing our musical theory knowledge. For beginners, we will focus on how to read sheet music. For those more experienced, we will look at sight singing, pitching and other useful theory areas. These parts of the session will still be fun and accessible and we can eat biscuits at the same time – winner!
Weekly sessions are fun, friendly and aim to develop skills through a wide-ranging selection of songs from the world of Pop, Funk and Folk from across the decades. Local composers arrange songs especially for the Factory Singers; the arrangement styles are bold and surprising, so no one is a backing vocalist! Over the course of this half term we will revisit a few favourites from our repertoire as well as learning one or two new songs.
We hope to create a choir performance video of one of our new songs, which will be released in April 2021.
Why join us?
- Discover the joy of singing!
- Build a lasting connection with other people from the local area
- Develop your skills and confidence
- Our teaching style is inclusive, we have singers who read music as well as those who don’t
Who can join us?
- We welcome adults of all ages (18+), of all identities and from all backgrounds.
- Anyone can join – whether you’ve sung in choirs all your life or have only ever sung in the shower!
- We welcome newcomers. No audition necessary.
How do I book?
- Our Factory Singers Online Choir is available on a Pay What You Can basis. By joining, you sign up for the whole term and can choose to pay £3, £5, £8 or £12 per session, which works out as £21, £35, £56 or £84 for the full term. Regardless of what you choose to pay, session leaders will be paid in full for their time and expertise.
- To sign up and pay for the full term up front, click the ‘Buy Tickets’ button above
Need help with the fee? Bursary places are available. For more info, please contact Ailie at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have any further questions, please get in touch with Ailie at email@example.com
- AGE RECOMMENDATION18+
- TICKETSPay What You Can - choose to pay £21, £35, £56 or £84 for the term
ONLINE SPRING TERM 2021
The online spring term of the Factory Singers Choir will run from Mon 15 February – Mon 29 March 2021. There will be 7 sessions in total.
Rehearsals take place online every Monday from 7pm – 9pm (including a 10 minute break).
Newcomers are still welcome to join – please email Ailie for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org