EVENT HAS PASSED
SPARK: A Festival of Art is a night of exciting new work, organised and produced by Tobacco Factory Theatres’s team of Young Producers. Returning for its second year after a successful sell out in 2018, we are looking for Bristol’s artists and makers aged 16-25 to present their new and developing work at SPARK 2019.
We believe that young artists’ voices should be heard, their work seen and their creativity sustained. In our current divided and difficult world, YOUR creativity can help us find a sense of unity.
We want to build a festival that reflects the diversity and creativity of young people’s artistic voices. SPARK will bring together a group of artists who might not usually work together, providing a platform for them to support, learn from, and perform alongside each other.
We’re looking for up to twenty 5 – 15 minute pieces of work to present together at SPARK: A Festival of Art at Tobacco Factory Theatres on Sun 19 May.
So if you’re making ANY kind of work about ANYTHING that is important to you, we want to hear from you.
We are looking for:
- Art from any and all areas and forms, including theatre, music, dance, film, poetry, visual art, comedy, photography, sound design, performance art, rehearsed readings (or anything else!)
- Work from all stages of development – if you have a finished project, a work-in-progress piece or even just a good idea, we want to hear about it!
- A performance or film lasting 5 minutes, 10 minutes or 15 minutes, or a section of this duration from a longer piece. We’ll also have slots for durational performances, visual art hangings, site specific pieces etc.
- We are particularly interested in hearing from people whose work engages with themes of division and unity – though this isn’t a requirement.
Who should apply:
- Anyone aged 16 – 25
- People from or living in Bristol or the surrounding area (~20 mile radius)
- Solo artists or groups
- Artists at all stages of their ‘career’ – no formal training or experience is required
Although this is an unpaid opportunity, we will be offering:
- The opportunity to perform at an established theatre to a large audience
- 3 supported places: personalised and specific support for 3 chosen artists/groups who face barriers in creating work for SPARK. The specifics of these supported places will vary, but could range from rehearsal space to mentoring
- The chance to meet and work alongside other local, young artists
- Free entry to SPARK and the chance to watch all the work on show
- Professional photographs of your performance
- A listing on Tobacco Factory Theatres’s website and some social media exposure
- The platform to have your creative voice heard
- The chance to establish a network of support with other young artists
Dates and other information:
- Application deadline: 10am on Fri 01 March
- Informal auditions/interviews: Sun 10 March 9:30am – 5:30pm and Tue 12 March 5:30pm – 9:30pm
- Tech: Sun 19 May (daytime). Where possible, we’ll offer allocated time slots to see the performance space on Thu 16 and Fri 17 May.
- Performances will take place at SPARK: A Festival of Art on Sun 19 May at Tobacco Factory Theatres
How to apply
If you’re interested in applying to perform your work at SPARK, please complete the short application form on this page, along with an equal opportunities form. Please complete the form as best you can, remembering the most important thing is to give us a clear idea of YOU and YOUR WORK.
Please submit your completed application form by 10am on Fri 01 March to email@example.com with ‘SPARK’ as the subject line.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
We can’t wait to hear from you!